Martin announced Thursday that an investigation by his office and police determined there was never a credible threat involving 27 local schools.
He said a 57-year-old South Whitehall Township man who told his hairdresser Monday he had received a "message from God" about an imminent attack on schools has voluntarily committed himself for mental health treatment, and declined to identify the man, citing privacy laws.
Martin said it is likely the man is delusional and added that no charges against him are planned.
In response to the perceived threat earlier in the week, Fellin sent an email to staff urging vigilance, and requested additional police presence in schools.
Some parents said they were upset that no information about the threat—credible or not—was communicated with them directly.
Fellin's email follows:
"I take great exception to the comment by Lehigh County District Attorney James B. Martin (that) 'Much of the public concern could have been avoided with the exercise of common sense, good judgment and restraint by a few school administrators outside of Lehigh County who reacted inappropriately to rumor and caused unnecessary and widespread concern.'
"The one part of my communications that were internal and went to staff and the administration only that has been missing from all media reports is the following 'Just in....The Chief of the jurisdiction that arrested the individual says at this time they are satisfied there is no on-going threat. We will stay vigilant throughout the week anyway...'
"Rather than DA Martin placing blame and he too sending out inaccurate accusations just maybe he should reflect on ways his office could have communicated more effectively accurate information outside the silo of law enforcement to the school districts to keep us as informed as possible and not have to rely on 'rumored' information.
"We are accountable for keeping our students safe and when we receive information that may impact the district we need to do what we feel is best and inform those we feel are appropriate.
"NO communication came from the DA office on this issue and as the Superintendent of Saucon Valley and as many superintendents did across the Valley with the pieces of information that we were receiving, we reacted in a manner that we thought was best for our districts on the information that we had.
"I believe, there needs to be better awareness and working relationships between the entities on such incidents. How would any district be able to answer the questions if this incident hit the papers and we were not informed 'Did you know?' (and) 'If you didn’t why not?'
"Such incidents, founded, viable, substantiated or not, need to be shared as accurately as possible, particularly when school may be involved and have it be everyone’s issue. Simple cooperation, especially in this day and age of mass shootings and terroristic threats has to happen between the entities and silos of silence, territory and jurisdiction be broken down."
Photo: Saucon Valley School District superintendent Dr. Sandra Fellin (file photo)